Friday 20 September 2013

Butterhorns

  • 2 c. scalded milk
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ½ c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp. yeast 
  • 5 ½ c. flour

... after spreading the dough with butter, roll it up ...
... cut in bun sized pieces, tighten rolls and place on trays ...
... I will just take a piece of this while no one is looking ...
... very yummy, uncooked
What dough?
Mix the ingredients.

Let rise.

Then roll out the dough.

Spread with butter.

Roll the dough, cut and place on pans to raise and then cook.

When cool, ice and decorate with nuts, toasted coconut, chocolate curls or whatever.

If you have any questions about this recipe, use the comment box and I will do some edits on this post.

I can see now that there is no baking time.

No idea of how many to put across and down on the baking sheet.

So many questions.

Perhaps all of the readers have watched this done in the Larch Haven kitchens so many times that there really are no questions – only a need for the ingredients.  That is all Moiya wanted when she called me for the recipe.

AJ

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing this family favourite. I have a quick question. What icing do you put on the horns and how do you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hard question. I would have answered some butter, some icing sugar, some vanilla. Beat it until it is the right consistency. That is a bad answer. I went out to the Canadian Living Recipe Website and copied this one:

    Ingredients
    • 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 pinch salt
    • 4 cups (1 L) icing sugar
    • 1/4 cup (60 mL) whipping cream or milk
    • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla

    Preparation

    In large bowl, beat butter with salt until smooth. Beat in sugar alternately with cream, making 3 additions of sugar and 2 of cream. Beat in vanilla.

    My mother used to tell me to warm the milk/cream and if I did the sugary taste would disappear.

    I usually put a vanilla icing on the buns. One day this summer I added some orange zest which I thought made it taste better. David Camps rejected them and wondered why I couldn't make them as good the second time as I had the first. So I am back to plain vanilla. I prefer toasted coconut on top. Sometimes I like crushed walnuts, but only about 1/2 a bun like that, not a whole one.

    I think the secret with the icing is to beat it and play with the icing sugar, adding just enough to get the consistency that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other notes...don't forget to add the butter when making the dough.

    Otherwise, it is just "Horns"

    Arta also says cook at 325 for 11 to 16 minutes

    ReplyDelete