Sunday 22 September 2013

Cinnamon Rolls a la Virginia Johnson



... I've made these for years and years<br/> (Virginia Johnson)  ...
Here is a recipe that came to me from my sister-in-law, Virginia Johnson.  The recipe doesn’t require getting up at 2 am to start the batch of dough as the traditional one I use does, if I want to serve them at 7 am.  You can see from the timing, this is easier and can be served at a morning brunch.  This recipe has a quick butter icing on top, and beats the taste of the product one can buy in the store. My sisters-in-law and nieces on the Johnson side call this their favorite quick bun and they are all good at making it.  I am more casual and use the recipe from my side of the family, just serving them later in the day.  But I recommend this one as well if you like to work with a sponge dough.

Cinnamon Rolls – Virginia Johnson

  • 2 tbsp yeast
  • 1 ½ c. scalded milk (Virginia doesn’t scald hers anymore)
  • 1 /12 c. water
  • 2 tbsp shortening
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 1 ½ tsp sugar
  • 2 ¼ c. flour
  • raisins (optional)
Beat all ingredients; let rise 15 minutes. Cover the sponge. Add 2 eggs (beaten), 4 ½ tbsp. shortening, ½ c. sugar and 4 ½ c. flour. Mix well. Roll ¼” thick. Spread with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up. Cut ½ “ thick. Let rise double. Cover (plastic). Bake 20 minutes at 350 – 370 degrees F.

2 comments :

  1. What is the sponge? Its not in the ingredients list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an investigator, I did a google search to find out what a sponge is. The sad part is that I have to join the Encyclopedia Britannica if I want a fulsome answer. I did get part answers, but still don't know as much about a sponge as I want to.

    I was watching a cooking show that was teaching the 5 places in your kitchen most susceptible to germs. #1 was the kitchen sponge. They said that if you don't throw it out when it gets dirty, then boil it ... for five minutes.

    What?

    Even when I am making a meal I am not at the stove for five minutes anymore.

    ReplyDelete