Wednesday 2 October 2013

Orange Whole Wheat Bread

1 orange
1 cup water
hot water
1 c. powdered milk
2 eggs
2 TB salt
2 TB dry yeast
11-12 c. whole wheat flour
1 cup honey

page 12 ... Orange Bread
Step 1: Cut 1 orange in half and remove seeds.  Put in blender with 1 cup water and 1 c honey and blend thoroughly.  (Do not peel the orange.)  Finish filling the blender with the ot water to the 1 liter mark.  Pour into your mixing bowl.

Step 2: Combine powdered milk with 1 cup whole wheat flour before adding to moist ingredients.  Add eggs, powdered milk, salt dry yeast and 7 c. whole wheat flour and blend thoroughly.  Add 4 to 5 more c. whole what flour and knead 10 minutes. 

Step 3: Form into 4 well greased loaf pans.  Let rise until doubled in bulk.

Step 4: Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.  This recipe makes wonderful light rolls.  You may desire to make some of the dough into rolls and the rest into loaves.

Orange Bread Glaze
1 c. powdered sugar
Juice from 1 orange
Make a glaze of powdered sugar and the juice from one orange.  While the bread or rolls are piping hot, pour the glaze over them.  This is an outstanding bread.

TIP: Grease the pans with a hard shortening for best results.

Notes from Arta:
This is another good recipe.  Though we haven't talked about ordinary brown bread yet, this is just a variation on it.  I have a muffin recipe that I use for Orange Muffins from the Jean Pare's books that uses this same method: grind an orange so finely that the zest permeates the whole muffin. 

When I make this recipe, I don't add the powdered milk or the eggs unless I want to make it into buns.  Ad yes, the glaze is delicious, but I don't need those calories anymore, so I don't do that when I am just making the bread for my family.  But I wouldn't look down on anyone who puts it on their bread.  For sure, it would show that the cook cares.

Arta

No comments :

Post a Comment