Saturday 16 November 2013

Glen's Waffle Recipe

Here is Glen's very mathematical recipe.  We love it at our house here in Quebec.  And it is a great way to start a frosty November morning.

I was so excited to post Glen's waffle recipe this -- I thought I would be the first to post a waffle recipe on a food blog that should have at least a dozen given the people who contribute to and follow this blog.  And given the amount of waffles that get consumed at the Lake each summer.

But alas, I see Moiya beat me to it.  But if I am going to be beaten by anyone, I would choose Moiya though.

Recipe

N = number of people divided by 2

2 N eggs
N cups of flour
N teaspoons of salt
N tablespoons of baking powder
N cups of milk
N/3 cups of cooking oil

Step 1:  separate egss and set aside yolks for step 3
Step 2:  beat egg whites until stiff
Step 3: mix all ingredients but egg whites until consistency of syrup
Step 4:  fold in egg whites
Step 5:  heat waffle iron until light goes out and then cook for about 2 minutes

(Taken from the Johnson Family Reunion 2009 book put together by Catherine Jarvis)

Toppings

At our house this is what you will find on the table
  • real maple syrup
  • store-bought syrup
  • peanut butter
  • butter
  • honey and/or cinnamon honey
  • whipped cream (if we are lucky enough to have some in the fridge)
  • fruit: wild Quebec blueberries (if they are in season), sliced bananas, other berries in season or if there happen to be some from California or South America hanging about the grocery store
If you have never tried this, you must:
  • spread waffle with peanut butter, sprinkle with sliced bananas, drizzle with real maple syrup, top with whipped cream.
You won't regret it.

2 comments :

  1. I made these this morning. My kids loved them. However, my egg folding needs a bit of work. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Brendan!! I find using a belgian waffle maker is best. I love the deep pockets they make in a waffle. Perfect for filling with syrup. Sometimes at my house we have breakfast for dinner, and waffles are a key part of that evening meal. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete