Thursday 23 January 2014

Scottish Flapjacks


OK, so Robbie Burns day is fast approaching.  I wanted to make flapjacks to celebrate.  But I am trying to cut back on my carbs.  So instead, I will just blog about them.

I was so lucky to get to visit London while Greg and Wyona were living there.   One of the things I discovered that I fell in love with were flapjacks.  Now in Canada we think of flapjacks as just another word for pancakes.  Not so in the UK.

Flapjacks are basically an oatmeal bar, and oh, so good.

Classic Flapjacks

150g of butter or margarine
100-150g light brown sugar
2 tablespoon of golden syrup
        (some recipes call for up to 1/4 cup of golden syrup)
350g of porridge oats
1. Put the butter or margarine, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the fat and sugar have melted.

2. Add the porridge oats and blend thoroughly.

3. Press into a well greased 18cm square sandwich tin.

4. Bake in the centre of a moderate oven at 180c or 350f or gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes or until evenly golden brown.

5. Mark into fingers whilst warm.

6. Allow to become almost cold in the tin before removing.


1 comment :

  1. Thank you Mary. I like to eat these bars as well. I can easily bring to mind their toastiness I didn't know their proper name was flapjacks. A British friend at work used to make them. I, too, am reducing my carbs, so enjoyed the read and know that I can make these when it is the right time to do si.

    You are on a roll, Mary!. Blogging the pumpkin/zucchini cake, the Vietnamese Soup, and now the flap jacks. I have done the soup. You know the pineapple in it? I am not accustomed to that sweetness in a soup. A part of it almost feels like dessert.

    I saw Laynie on Thursday. She has a recipe in her mind that is so secure that she can recite it, but she hasn't made it yet.

    "Doesn't that sound just delicious," she said after listing the ingredients. "I am concentrating on salads."

    On one recitation, I can't remember all of the ingredients, but the salad includes peaches, bacon, a few strips of onion, the usual oil/vinegar/dijon dressing. There must be greens ... that will be up to her to tell the full story.

    I have other food preparation to do. It is the Coop Warehouse sale and I bought 10 pounds of rutabagas for $7 and 10 pounds of beets for $8. I am going to cook them all and eat them in the entrees. No beet cake, though that is what I will wish I were preparing..

    ReplyDelete