Friday 20 June 2014

Lentils Curried with Rhubarb and Potatoes

I found the recipe in English with ingredient amounts. 

Thank to:  http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/stuff

Ingredients:
1 cup dry "orange" lentils
1 very large sweet potato, peeled and sliced
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup rhubarb, diced
2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
1 teaspoon hot red chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Procedure:

Cover lentils with water in a deep pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add raw sweet potato slices. Simmer until soft (about an hour). Remove from heat, drain, and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a skillet. Once hot, add rhubarb. Reduce heat and cook until tender. Stir in sweetener and seasonings. Mix with drained cooked lentils and potatoes that have been mashed together with a fork. Pour into a oven-proof dish and bake at 400 degrees until piping hot (about 20 minutes). Garnish with coconut. Serve with chutney and a big bowl of brown rice.

1 comment :

  1. Hi Mary,

    I tried this recipe, right down to serving it on brown rice. The only thing I might change is ... next time I might toast the coconut though I don't know why for it was delicious with the regular coconut. That addition made a nice sweetness to the dish. I liked it when I would pick out a piece of rhubarb and could feel its tartness.

    When I saw you post the recipe, I had already started with 2 cups of red lentils.and four cups of red onions which I had fried, but then I just doubled everything, kept in the onions and had a variation not many others will have.

    Delicious as is. Well, I missed the baking step and draining the lentils, so ... I probably made a variation that is so far away that it can't be called the same recipe. Anyway, you saved me from a wild experiment by bringing me back with specified amounts and I will do this recipe again when I have rhubarb.

    Thanks.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete